Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Blowing the Hairs off the Bears...sitting on chairs?

Well, today it's blowing about 26 or 28, depending on when you ask, so we are all on shore. I have not heard a single solitary complaint. It is just too darn much! Bronson Bowling says it's blowing the hairs off the bears, but Dave Thinel says that's wrong, it's blowing the dogs off the chains. Either way, you get the picture! I have heard some people saying it won't peak until about 3 pm, so I don't know if we'll sail today or not.

That gives me time, at least to write a bit about yesterday and the event in general.

So yesterday we had two races, one four-leg and one five-leg. The breeze stayed in the north and the seabreeze could not overcome it. Meanwhile the current was ebbing, which I think meant we should stay on the right side going upwind. We got a great start at the boat end and headed to the right, as we planned. Then the wind shifted about 20 degrees to the left and I thought that was a sign the seabreeze was coming in. So we went left. Did not pay off! Note to self, don't get suckered by a fake seabreeze. And in a fleet like this, don't separate from the smart guys!
Ben and Deb hoisting the spinn

Overall, the Midwest District sailors are holding their own. The Faugusts dropped a couple places, as did Team Sophie. In the Challenger Division Randy Adolphs is still in the trophy race!
Jennifer and Michael Faugust adjusting their rigging

I will mention that this is John Cassada's very first national event and he is having a blast! Before the event, he was figuring he'd just do this event and skip Chattanooga Choo Choo (in two weeks) and Ephraim in August, but now he's trying to figure out how to work his calendar to do them all!

John's crew Adam blocking the waves like a good crew does

This morning John realized his goose neck had sheared off (from yesterday's blow perhaps?) and I know Craig Rost has had a few equipment troubles, including a rip in his spinnaker, but we have enough sailmakers and boat builders to come to the rescue!

Craig tuning his boat

But back to yesterday's racing: the second race the current was even stronger and we paid the price at the windward mark. We were doing pretty well that race until the second upwind leg. Even accounting for the current taking us down, we tacked too early and hit the mark. Ugh! Then, in trying to get out of the way to do a circle, we hit the OFFSET mark. Argh again! So, two circles later we were back in the race, but in a fleet like that you can't make those kinds of mistakes and not pay the price! We didn't feel too bad since we heard of several other people hitting the mark and one boat even dragging it a significant distance before being able to unhook it from their rudder.

That's about all I have to report from the racing. Sadly, each race becomes a blur even before it ends. If I had a better memory I'd be able to provide more details. But maybe some of the other sailors will be able to contribute their stories. I'll go ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment