Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Better Late Than Never ..

Well, it's been 10 days since the Cowan Lake Flying Pig regatta that we went to the first weekend of June and I feel terrible that I haven't written about it before. Time flies when you are having fun, I guess!
from left, Trent and Heather Johnson, Deb Aronson, Ben Williams, Marianne and Frank Gerry, Eric Bussell and Tom Yeagle
First and foremost, we had a great time!! We had FOUR boats from Clinton Lake: us, Frank and Marianne Gerry and Eric Bussell with guest crew Tom Yeagle and Trent and Heather Johnson! We were especially excited that the Johnsons joined us because they just got bit by the regatta bug last year and now they are all in. I will say they are professional campers and bring all the right touches, so if you can ever pitch your tent near them you might benefit from their beer and food collection and their masterful management of ice. Trent has  PhD in beer and ice management. Just sayin'. It is especially fitting that they start their regatta season off at Cowan because  they bought their boat, Kitchen Sink II, from Lynn and Bruce Kitchen who are members of  Cowan Lake.

On a more somber note, for those of you who hadn't heard, Frank and Marianne's beloved boat, Eva, got totaled in a traffic jam outside Indianapolis on the way to the Hoover Lake regatta. The guy behind them was at fault, but even so, he got Eva's mast right through his windshield. Happily no one was hurt but meanwhile, Frank and Marianne are borrowing boats as they can until Flying Scot Inc can build them a new boat. This weekend they got a strong blue boat called Puff Daddy that Bruce found for them. They seemed very happy with that boat and made a particularly strong showing Sunday, when we had some real decent wind.

Speaking of wind, let's just say the wind Saturday was the kind of day you have nightmares about. Just little ghosting bits of wind skipping randomly around the lake. The first race stands out as particularly frustrating. We were battling with the Kitchens downwind when we heard that dreaded sound of other hulls cutting through the water. Sure enough, behind us the wind began to fill and and everyone behind us went right on by us. We will not reveal what words were spoken on our boat. Nor will we discuss the language on Mark and Maria Benner's boat by the end of the day. Let's just say in light wind voices carry really really really far!!

We were all relieved when race committee decided to call it a day after two races, hoping they could get three in on Sunday, with better winds forecast. Poor Trent and Heather came off the lake not so sure they liked sailing anymore. Happily, Sunday changed their mind back to loving sailing. Phew!!

Anyway, we had a delicious dinner and a wonderful band, which I don't have a photo of. The music brought out the hip shaking in some of us and the rest of us really enjoyed the evening as well, even if we didn't expend as much energy.
We had a BAND! And, as you can see, dancing!! We can still party (at least some of us!)
Ben Williams, Geoff Endris, Frank Gerry after sailing Sunday

Sunday dawned with very very light wind but we all dragged our carcasses out to the course. Eternal optimism of the sailor! And, lo and behold, the wind filled in and we had three lovely lovely races!! The Benners, despite the language on the boat Saturday, had two fantastic finishes this weekend. Remember, "they can't take that away from you!!"

Trophies, both Flying Pig and Ohio District

Anyway, it was a great weekend and I have to thank Heather for being so good at taking photos! Makes all the difference, right?
 Results are at so head on over there and check 'em out!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh what a great time it was!! Thanks to everyone at Cowan for hosting a great regatta! Can't wait till next year!

    Heather Johnson
    FS 3516
    The Kitchen Sink II